Three amigos screw up a cluster

Three amigos joined me for a cluster installation the other day. Neither of them was very friendly, so I decided to call them all out in one place in order for others to steer clear.

The opinionated folder

Using mount point folders is a great idea for neatness and to avoid having a gazillion drive letters in play. It is also a great idea to review the best practices for SQL Server clusters on mount point folders, as there are a few gotchas. This blog post lays it all out.

If you fail to set up the correct permissions, funky stuff will ensue. The issue I’ve seen most often is something along the lines of lack of privileges on the SYSVOL\{some-long-GUID}. In that case, it’s time to read the blog post and berate oneself for trying to put stuff in the root folder.

The unwilling mover

The following error stumped me for a while:

“The resource ‘LogDisk (INST1)’ could not be moved from cluster group ‘Available Storage’ to cluster group ‘SQL Server (INST)’ “

For some reason the cluster didn’t feel like moving the cluster disks into the SQL Server group. Unforturnately I didn’t have enough time to really dig in to why this occurs, but it does have something to do with running with mounted folders. Fortunately the solution is fairly simple - just create an empty cluster group, call it what you want your SQL Server cluster group to be called, and move the disks into it before you install SQL Server. This is usually very simple, but in this case the GUI didn’t let me move the disks. Basically nothing happened, which made it somwhat difficult to troubleshoot… When searching for the correct syntax for moving disks via Powershell, I came across this blog post that covers this issue and the Powershell workaround.

The lost agent (with a slight detour via insufficient privileges)


The SQL Server installation failed thoroughly when it became evident that the cluster network object (CNO) for some reason lacked the privileges to create computer objects. This led to a failure of the cluster to bring up the name resource, and subsequently to abort the installation. The solution is to make sure the CNO has the permission to create computer objects. This blog post goes into excellent detail.

After rectifying the above I decided to salvage the installation, and I noticed that there was something missing. Like the agent. In order to create that resource, take a look here. With that done this specific issue was taken care of.